Georgia Native Plant Society Annual Symposium
Each year, the Georgia Native Plant Society holds a symposium to provide members and non-members with up-to-date information on native plants, their habitat and their conservation. Normally a one-day meeting, the symposium brings together a group of native plant experts who give individual presentations. Vendors sell native plants, books and other items, as well. In 2021, due to pandemic conditions, a two-day virtual format was adopted, and this will be continued in 2022.
This is your opportunity to:
- Listen and learn from distinguished speakers
- Take advantage of planting advice from skilled botanists and Master Gardeners
- Purchase native plants from nurseries all over Georgia
- Meet with wildlife and environmental organizations
- Learn about our Native Plant Habitat Certification program
- Check out crafts and gifts from local artists
- Purchase the Plant of the Year t-shirt
- Buy signed books authored by our speakers and distinguished members
- Get to know other chapters and their members
The first symposium was held on April 10, 1995. Sally and Andy Wasowski, authors of Gardening with Native Plants of the South, waived their normal speaker’s fee, as did Kathy Henderson and George Sanko, in order to promote the first symposium at DeKalb College. More recently, the symposia have been held at Middle Georgia State University.
(The first symposium was held in 1995.)
The 21st annual GNPS Plant Symposium will be held this year at Georgia Perimeter College, Decatur Campus in Decatur, GA on Feb 20th, 2016. The symposium will touch on broad themes of interest, including new and unusual native plants of the southeast, storm water gardens, and how to engage the public in the importance and joys of native plants. Our keynote speaker is Dr. Larry Mellichamp, recently retired Professor of Botany and Horticulture at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte and former director of the University’s Botanical Gardens. We will also offer hands-on workshops including digital photography and botanical illustration. Register now to get the early bird prices!
20th Annual Georgia Native Plant Symposium Saturday March 7, 2015 Our 20th Annual Georgia Native Plant Society Symposium was held March 7, 2015 at the Georgia Perimeter College, Clarkston campus, Atlanta, GA, from 8:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Our program included...