The Georgia Native Plant Society is always on the lookout for good speakers who are knowledgeable about gardening with native plants in the Southeast. We would love to hear from you if you have a recommendation of a speaker you have heard which you think would be of interest to our members and could speak to us at one of our member meetings.
You are always welcome to join us for presentations by speakers on native plant related topics at our member meetings, which are held in alternate months beginning in January, and are open to the public. These meetings are held on the second Tuesday evening of alternate months at Day Hall at the Atlanta Botanical Garden, at 1345 Piedmont Avenue, NE, Atlanta, GA. Normal schedule: Social Hour at 6:45, Speaker at 7:30 PM.
To learn more about GNPS Chapter meetings and events, visit:
The following members are available to lecture to garden clubs community groups and other interested organizations on the topics listed below. Let us know if you would like to be added to our list of presenters and we will get back to you soon. If you would like for someone to come and speak to your group please contact these speakers directly:
Name: Ken Gohring
Address: 2322 Habersham Drive
Marietta GA 30064
Telephone: 770 401-8298
- Native Azaleas
- Native Understory Plants
- Native Plant Rescue
- MA Washington University (math)
- Retired from Norfolk Southern Corp. (Operations Research)
- Member GNPS since 1999. Offices: Publicity Chair, Treasurer, Webmaster, Regional Plant Rescue Coordinator, Regional Plant Rescue Site Procurement Coordinator, Author of numerous articles for NativeSCAPE (GNPS Newsletter), served on numerous committees.
- Other: President Azalea Chapter of the American Rhododendron Society 2006-7, Regional Director District 10 of American Rhododendron Society 2006-7; Member Oconee Chapter of the Azalea Society of America; Member Georgia Botanical Society
Name: Jim Rodgers aka Snakeman
Address: 776 McBride Road
Fayetteville, GA 30215
Telephone: 770 460-6284
- Native plants
- Oaks, flowering perennials, seed propagation, palms, interpretive walks, etc.
- Native snakes (slideshow, live reptiles, or both)
- Flintknapping (making tools as primitive man did).
Jim has always been interested in the native flora and fauna. His formal native plant background was taught to him by George Sanko at Georgia Perimeter College. Jim was instrumental in the groundbreaking of the Botanical Gardens at GPC. He has been gardening with and studying native plants for over 20 years. He has been doing snake programs and putting on Flintknapping demonstrations for the last 5 or so years.
Name: Sandra J. Sandefur
Address: 4885 Due West Road
Kennesaw, GA 30152
Telephone: 770 422-1080
- Designing under the Native Influence
- Natives for Shade
- Natives for Sun
- Inquire for Other Topics
Owner of Dogwood Knoll Design. Entering the twenty-second year of designing with perennials and native plants. Concentrating on appointments in North Fulton, Cobb, Paulding, Cherokee and Douglas Counties.
Fee: $75 plus travel expenses if over 25 miles from office in West Cobb County.