- SCIENTIFIC NAME: Ilex opaca
- PLANT TYPE: Tree
- SCIENTIFIC NAME PRONUNCIATION: EYE-lecks oh-PAK-uh
- TAGS: Plant Tags: dioecious and evergreen. Plant Types: Tree.
American Holly (Ilex opaca) grows best in sun but can withstand partial shade with moist, well-drained, acid soil; should be planted in an area protected from high wind; pruning should be done in winter, and it can withstand heavy pruning if branches are removed at their point of origin; susceptible to iron chlorosis in high pH soils. Nice pyramidal shape, with...
- SCIENTIFIC NAME: Ilex verticillata
- PLANT TYPE: Shrub
- SCIENTIFIC NAME PRONUNCIATION: EYE-lecks VER-tis-il-lot-uh
- TAGS: Plant Tags: deciduous, dioecious, holly, and wetland. Plant Types: Shrub.
Winterberry (Ilex verticillata) tolerates poor drainage and wet areas and is very showy in fruit. You must have both a male and female plant to have berries. The male must be the same species as the female and bloom at the same time. The plant may sucker a bit in ideal conditions or when damaged. Cultivars are available but must be carefully selected: ‘Jim...